Sunday, November 1, 2009

Why don't we blog about it?

Friends, family, curious strangers,

For my birthday last Saturday, I decided to treat myself to a year's VPN subscription. Here in Beijing, that means access to Facebook, Youtube, and most importantly, the majority of the American blogosphere. And I couldn't think of a better way to meta-celebrate than taking part.

The title, Aur(ient)alism, stems from Edward Said's Orientalism, and naturally, the ways it might express itself in the musical sphere. Chinese music is struggling to straddle the line between East and West, tradition and modernity. It's changing quickly in some ways, and stagnating in others, enormously exciting and deeply distressing, deceptively simple and just-as-deceptively profound. In other words, it's China in a nutshell, a very big country packed into a very small space.

My job this year is to see where it's been, where it's at, and where it's going. In the spirit of my title, I'll try and make this thing an audio-visual experience. It'll be like you're right here with me. So here we go, takeoff. Lets see how long it lasts.

Enjoy, guys.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment